Dealing With Unwanted Guests
Getting rodents out of the attic or crawl space is important, but keeping them out is a different matter.
- Find and block entry points with rodent resistant materials. A Marietta pest control expert can advise you on the best materials to use.
- Keep food sources away from your home.
- Keep garbage sealed in metal containers, keep fruit from fruit trees cleaned up and out of gutters, and keep pet foods and treats out of the yard.
Which Critter is Which?
It’s important to understand what kind of rodent might move in. In Marietta there are several possibilities.
- Mice. Mice are very prolific breeders and can become an out of control infestation in no time. A mouse can bear up to 13 litters every year, and each baby will be ready to breed and bear its own litters in only six weeks.
- Rats. Rats are hardy, and their habits and behaviors are a bit different than mice. Advice from a Marietta pest control expert is helpful. Traps, baits, and strategies are different for each kind of rodent.
- Wildlife. Possums, squirrels, and other critters from the wild move in readily. Never approach or handle wildlife without help from a professional. Safe handling of wildlife is critical.
Because rodents reproduce rapidly an infestation may already be serious by the time a homeowner suspects anything. Hearing scampering and gnawing in the ceiling or walls, smelling unpleasant odors, or seeing the critters themselves all occur after rodents have settled in. It is important to take action right away. The longer rodents stay the more difficult it is to get rid of them. A home inspection from a Marietta pest control expert will identify several factors.
- Proper identification of pests. Each one requires a different strategy.
- Quick action.
- Safe procedures for the home, family, and pets.